Biography and work of Sofia Welch
After struggling to find the classical training she craved in a highly conceptualised educational environment, Sofia found the LARA. She went on to study at LARA for four years and also for a short time in Florence after receiving an international scholarship.
Sofia is now Director of Studies at LARA. She also takes commissions and works on her own paintings as well as winning and being commended for the following awards.
- Royal British Artists Annual Exhibition 2017 at the Mall Galleries-Highly commended De Laszlo Award.
- Pastel Society Annual Exhibition 2017 at the Mall Galleries – Winner of the Pastel Society Young Artist Award
- Royal British Artists Annual Exhibition 2016 at the Mall Galleries – Winner of the Michael Harding Award
- Art Renewal Centre Scholarship 2013 second place
- Florence Academy of Art Summer Scholarship winner 2013
“Sofia is an excellent tutor with a very positive manner so her teaching was both informative and enjoyable. She always points out how well you are progressing and her constructive criticism is done in an empathetic way. I don’t think you could ask for anything more from Sofia. She is a real asset to LARA”. Linda Green