Thank you very much to everyone who applied to the LARA Summer Scholarship Competition. The standard of the applications was the highest to date – very exciting for the future of representational art!
Congratulations to the following young artists:
Bristol Winner: Hattie Quigley
London Winner: Edie Samuels
Bristol Runner-up: Shalin Thekkel
London Runner-up: Fianait Maye
We would also like to make mention of the applications of Khaled Matar and Jeyem Liwanag as Highly Commended.
We are very pleased to announce our second LARA Summer Scholarship!
LARA London will host one first prize winner for the full two weeks of Summer School (1st-12th July 2019, worth £845). In addition, one runner up will be hosted for one week of the Summer School (subject to availability, worth £435). LARA Bristol will also host one first prize winner for the full two weeks of Summer School.
Over the course of two weeks on Summer School students will be taught the essentials of cast drawing and figure drawing and painting, spending ten full days in the studios with 60 hours of contact time with LARA tutors.
If you would like to take part in the competition but would also like to guarantee your place on Summer School we advise booking ahead. Should you win first or second prize the relevant fees will be refunded to you. Please note we currently have a 15% discount on Summer School for sixth-form students. Please call the school to book your place and receive your discount. Proof of enrolment at a school/college is required.
Rules of the competition
1. This scholarship is aimed at school leavers, so entrants must be aged 16-20 years old.
2. All entrants will be judged on a portfolio of work, as well as a written statement. All judging will be done digitally. Applications should be sent by email to [email protected] (subject line ‘Summer Scholarship’) to include the following:
a. Name, age, address, current school or place of higher education if applicable, email address, telephone number. Please also state your preference for London or Bristol which we will do our best to accommodate.
b. A written statement of no more than 300 words on why you would benefit from attending Summer School.
c. A portfolio of 3-10 images, of size 1-5MB, attached to the email, with the total attachment size not exceeding 20MB. File format should be either JPG or PNG. If you need help with image compression we recommend http://optimizilla.com/.
3. Works in the submitted portfolio must be of a representational nature. All media will be considered but graphite, charcoal, pastel, oil and acrylic are the most suitable.
4. The deadline for entries is midday on Monday 20th May 2019.
5. Winners will be announced on this page shortly thereafter.
6. Although we will only directly contact the winner and runner-up after the announcement, we welcome requests for feedback from those who are unsuccessful by email.
7. The LARA London Summer School will take place in our studio at 371 Clapham Road, London, SW9 9BT between 1st and 12th July 2019. The LARA Bristol Summer School will take place in our studio at The Old Library, Trinity Road, Bristol BS2 0NW between 1st and 12th July 2019.
8. Previous winners of a LARA Scholarship Competition are not eligible to apply. However, previous runners-up of a LARA Scholarship Competition are eligible to apply.
9. Applicants are welcome to apply to both the Summer Scholarship Competition 2019 and Easter Scholarship Competition 2019 but should note it is not possible to win both competitions. It is possible to be the runner-up for the Easter School competition and the winner of the Summer School competition. If an applicant is applying to both competitions they must send two separate portfolios.