Date & Time
12th-16th August 2019 | Monday to Friday | 10.00-17.00
371 Clapham Road
London SW9 9BT
Bring me there
Stephanie Kullberg will teach you to paint a competent portrait using the sight-size method, starting with a simple charcoal transfer drawing through to a finished study in oils. To maintain the highest quality teaching and results there are no more than four students per portrait model allowing each student to a achieve a sight size portrait within the five day course.
This course will address
- Applying a knowledge of anatomy to a portrait
- Understanding the proportions and planes of the head and using props such as the skeleton and skull to inform understanding and develop a deeper knowledge of the underlying structure of the form
- Using sight-size to capturing an accurate likeness of the sitter and bringing out the best in your model
- How to organise a complicated subject with a simple value range
- Assembling an appropriate palette of colour and mixing accurate colour values
- Paint handling and edge control
- Controlling focus within portrait painting and overall design
Each class is limited to 8 students working from two models in sight-size. The Workshop Room is located within the main LARA London studio. Each model is lit with individual professional photographic lighting providing a steady, unchanging environment from which to observe all elements of portrait painting.
A full materials list will be provided on booking. Most materials can be purchased in the LARA shop onsite.
“I learned so much in a week. I most enjoyed having the opportunity to watch Stephanie paint alongside the class as an ongoing demonstration of how to put what we were learning into practice” – Jennifer Chau, Portrait Painting Workshop student 2018