Date & Time
11th - 15th February 2019 | Monday to Friday | 10.00-17.00
371 Clapham Road
London SW9 9BT
Bring me there
This Portrait Painting Masterclass will teach you to paint a competent portrait using the sight-size method, starting with a simple charcoal transfer drawing through to a finished study in oils.
To maintain the highest quality teaching and results, there are no more than four students per portrait model. This allows each student to achieve a sight-size portrait within the five day course.
This course will address:
- Applying a knowledge of anatomy to a portrait
- Understanding the proportions and planes of the head and using props, such as the skeleton and skull, to inform understanding and develop a deeper knowledge of the underlying structure of the form
- Using sight-size to capture an accurate likeness of the sitter and bringing out the best in your model
- Assembling an appropriate palette of colour and mixing accurate colour values
- Paint handling and edge control
- Controlling focus within portrait painting and overall design
- Using colour and value to create a convincing impression of light
- Technical and practical knowledge regarding pigments, painting media and canvas for creating long-lasting paintings
Each class is limited to 8 students working from two models in sight-size. The Workshop Room is located within the LARA London studio.
Each model is lit with individual professional photographic lighting which provides a steady, unchanging environment from which to observe all elements of portrait painting.
A full materials list will be provided on booking. Most materials can be purchased in the LARA shop onsite.
“It was a joy to have five consecutive days on a piece of work and feel that you had managed to make progress by the end of it” – Alix Osmond-Jones, Portrait Painting Masterclass student 2018
“Sofia is fantastic! She is clear and very informative in her teaching, calms you down when stressed or overwhelmed, inspiring in her work, and fun and fabulous to be around. She manages to tailor to both beginners and professional artists and everyone got loads out of it” – Laura Arenson, Portrait Painting Masterclass student 2018