Date & Time
Thursday Evenings | 18:30 - 20:30
371 Clapham Road
London SW9 9BT
Bring me there
These sessions are fun, informal, untutored and open to anyone and there will always be at least one tutor present to supervise, and the model will sustain the same pose for the duration of the session.
We hope you leave the session not only with drawings to be proud of, but also having met and chatted with lots of fellow artists with similar interests.
These sessions are intended to be relaxed and sociable and beginners welcome.
While the student’s work is self-led at the drop-in session, it is a great opportunity to practise the following:
- Learning to make quick but accurate proportional judgements, using comparative measurement as opposed to sight-size, which are the bedrock of capturing a likeness
- Using big, simplified shapes to represent the planes of the face and head
- Two value, block-in mass drawing to represent simplified forms under lighting
- Using contour and edges to describe more specific forms in a narrow value range
- Drawing the longer two hour portrait pose means you’ll encounter new drawing challenges. Tackling these complexities will help develop your drawing skills, which will ultimately help you improve your portraits.
The Drop-In Life Drawing takes place in the same figure room as the Foundation and Diploma course and therefore benefits from the excellent studio facilities.
We have a range of high quality CRI light options, all the way from soft and hard artificial lights of differing temperature. Resulting in the truest skin tone and recreating the similar lighting conditions used in atelier studios though out the years.
We provide chairs and drawing boards for all and, additionally, there are easels available on a first-come, first-served basis.
There will be a different model each week and eight easels available.
Anything goes at these sessions, however you can buy pencils, putty rubbers, charcoal and painting materials from the LARA London shop, within the studio.
There are 25 places available for this life drawing session.
Advanced booking will guarantee entry but early arrival is recommended if you would like an easel.
Please arrive at least ten minutes before the session begins.
Ten minutes before the session begins any unclaimed pre-booked places will be reallocated to anyone waiting for a place.
It is also possible to pay in cash on the door.
Remaining spaces are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
Subject to space, you can drop-in at any point in the two hour session from 18.30 onwards, you will still be required to pay the full amount.
Learn from the best tutors
"Art making is fundamentally a creative endeavour. We must not forget this as we embark on our academic training. Every method learnt must be valued not only on how accurate an effect can be obtained but also on how much freedom it allows"