Thank you very much to everyone who applied to the LARA Easter Scholarship Competition 2020. The standard of the applications was impressive – very exciting for the future of representational art!
Congratulations to the following young artists:
Winner: Astrid Gaszynski
Runner-up: Gabe Lewis
*Applications for the Easter Scholarship Competition 2020 are now closed.*
This Scholarship Competition offers two young people the chance to learn a new skill, discover the world of atelier training, boost their art portfolios and enrich their personal statements.
LARA will host one first prize winner for the full two weeks of Easter School | Drawing and Painting Bootcamp (30th March – 2nd April 2020, worth £870). In addition, one runner up will be hosted for one week of the Easter School (subject to availability, worth £435).
Over the course of two weeks on Easter School students will be taught the essentials of drawing and painting, spending ten full days in the studios with 60 hours of contact time with LARA tutors, working from both casts and the live model.
If you would like to take part in our scholarship competition but would also like to guarantee your place at Easter School we advise booking ahead. Should you win first or second prize the relevant fees will be refunded to you. Please note we currently have a 15% discount on Easter School for sixth-form students. Please call the school to book your place and receive your discount. Proof of enrolment at a school/college is required.
Rules of the competition
1. This scholarship is aimed at school leavers, so entrants must be aged 16-20 years old.
2. All entrants will be judged on a portfolio of work, as well as a written statement. All judging will be done digitally. Applications should be sent by email to [email protected] (subject line ‘Easter Scholarship’) to include the following:
a. Name, age, address, current school or place of higher education if applicable, email address, telephone number.
b. A written statement of no more than 300 words on why you would benefit from attending Easter School.
c. A portfolio of 3-10 images, of size 1-5MB, attached to the email, with the total attachment size not exceeding 20MB. File format should be either JPG or PNG. If you need help with image compression we recommend www.optimizilla.com.
3. Works in the submitted portfolio must be of a representational nature. All media will be considered but graphite, charcoal, pastel, oil and acrylic are the most suitable.
4. The deadline for entries is midday on Monday 10th February 2020.
5. Winners will be announced on this page shortly thereafter.
6. Although we will only directly contact the winner and the runner-up after the announcement, we welcome requests for feedback from those who are unsuccessful by email.
7. The LARA Easter School will take place in our studio on 371 Clapham Road, London, SW9 9BT between 30th March and 10th April.
8. Previous winners of a LARA Scholarship Competition are not eligible to apply. However, previous runners-up of a LARA Scholarship Competition are eligible to apply.
9. Applicants are welcome to apply to both the Easter Scholarship Competition 2020 and Summer Scholarship Competition 2020 but should note it is not possible to win both competitions. It is possible to be the runner-up for the Easter School competition and the winner of the Summer School competition. If an applicant is applying to both competitions they must send two separate portfolios.
10. Applicants should be aware that any images submitted as part of their entry, or images of work produced while at LARA, may be used by LARA for marketing purposes. Images used will always be credited.