London | Portrait Painting Masterclass
8th-12th October 2018 | 10:00-5:00 | Max: 8
This Portrait Painting Masterclass will teach you to paint a competent portrait using the sight-size method, starting with a simple charcoal transfer drawing through to a finished study in oils.Course Dates8th-12th October 2018 £011th-15th February 2019
£5 £10 £25Quantity
Some course date places may be temporarily reserved for up to an hour. If 'Out of Stock' message shows, please try later. If no luck, register your interest by joining our waiting list.join waiting list >
Join Waiting List
for London | Portrait Painting Masterclass
about London | Portrait Painting Masterclass
This Portrait Painting Masterclass taught by Sofia Welch will teach you to paint a competent portrait using the sight-size method, starting with a simple charcoal transfer drawing through to a finished study in oils.To maintain the highest quality teaching and results, there are no more than 4 students per portrait model. This allows each student to achieve a sight-size portrait within the 5 day course.
A minimum number of 5 students is required for this short course to run.
The course will address:
- Applying a knowledge of anatomy to a portrait
- Understanding the proportions and planes of the head and using props, such as the skeleton and skull, to inform understanding and develop a deeper knowledge of the underlying structure of the form
- Using sight-size to capture an accurate likeness of the sitter and bringing out the best in your model
- Assembling an appropriate palette of colour and mixing accurate colour values
- Paint handling and edge control
- Controlling focus within portrait painting and overall design
- Using colour and value to create a convincing impression of light
- Technical and practical knowledge regarding pigments, painting media and canvas for creating long-lasting paintings
Each class is limited to 8 students working from 2 models in sight-size. The workshop room is located within the main school of The London Atelier of Representational Art. Each model is lit with individual professional photographic lighting which provides a steady, unchanging environment from which to observe all elements of portrait painting.
Please note that specific materials are required for this course. You will receive a complete list on application.