Bristol | Figure Painting Masterclass
26th-30th March | 10:00-5:00 | Max: 8
Bristol | In this 5 day Figure Painting Masterclass you will learn how to paint the complicated subject of the human form in a simple and organised way. Taking advantage of a sustained pose for the entire duration of the course allows each student to first draw, then paint, the figure in sight-size.Course Dates26th-30th March 2018 £0
£5 £10 £25Quantity
about Bristol | Figure Painting Masterclass
Please note this course will run from the LARA Bristol Studio
In this 5 day Figure Painting Masterclass you will learn how to paint the complicated subject of the human form in a simple and organised way. Taking advantage of a sustained pose for the entire duration of the course allows each student to first draw, then paint, the figure in sight size.
Proportions and gesture are the initial focus, with progression into understanding value, and capturing the impression of light. With these basic but essential points covered, each student is taught how to approach colour mixing, paint handling, and how to control their edges. Individual critiques tailored to each students needs and skill levels mean by the end of the week each student has learned how to capture the figure successfully in paint.
the course will address:
- Applying a knowledge of anatomy to a figure
- Understanding the proportions and planes of the figure and using props, such as the skeleton and skull, to inform understanding and develop a deeper knowledge of the underlying structure of the form
- Using sight-size to capture an accurate likeness of the sitter and bringing out the best in your model
- Assembling an appropriate palette of colour and mixing accurate colour values
- Paint handling and edge control
- Controlling focus within portrait painting and overall design
- Using colour and value to create a convincing impression of light
- Technical and practical knowledge regarding pigments, painting media and canvas for creating long-lasting paintings
Working from the live model for six hours a day under professional photographic lights allows for careful, unchanging observation of the figure. Limited to 8 students, this is a wonderful opportunity for close instruction under a professional tutor. This workshop will run from The London Atelier of Representational Art's Bristol Studio.
The End Result
By working for six hours each day over the five day period each student leaves with a carefully observed figure painting of the live model. The thirty hour pose over a single week gives the student the chance to really capture the essence of the figure.
Please note that specific materials are required for this course. You will receive a complete list on application.