Portrait Painting Masterclass Sofia Welch
TBC | 10:00-5:00 | Max: 8
This Portrait Painting Masterclass will teach you to paint a competent portrait using the sight-size method, starting with a simple charcoal transfer drawing through to a finished study in oils.Course Dates
£5 £10 £25Quantity
about Portrait Painting Masterclass Sofia Welch
This Portrait Painting Masterclass taught by Sofia Welch will teach you to paint a competent portrait using the sight-size method, starting with a simple charcoal transfer drawing through to a finished study in oils.To maintain the highest quality teaching and results, there are no more than 4 students per portrait model. This allows each student to achieve a sight-size portrait within the 5 day course.
The course will address:
- Applying a knowledge of anatomy to a portrait
- Understanding the proportions and planes of the head and using props, such as the skeleton and skull, to inform understanding and develop a deeper knowledge of the underlying structure of the form
- Using sight-size to capture an accurate likeness of the sitter and bringing out the best in your model
- Assembling an appropriate palette of colour and mixing accurate colour values
- Paint handling and edge control
- Controlling focus within portrait painting and overall design
- Using colour and value to create a convincing impression of light
- Technical and practical knowledge regarding pigments, painting media and canvas for creating long-lasting paintings
Each class is limited to 8 students working from 2 models in sight-size. The workshop room is located within the main school of The London Atelier of Representational Art. Each model is lit with individual professional photographic lighting which provides a steady, unchanging environment from which to observe all elements of portrait painting.
Please note that specific materials are required for this course. You will receive a complete list on application.