Portrait Painting Masterclass
27th Feb- 3rd March 2017 | 10:00-5:00 | Max: 12
This Portrait Painting Masterclass will teach you to paint a competent oil portrait using comparative measurement with an emphasis on direct painting techniques.Course Dates27th Feb - 3rd Mar SOLD OUT £0
£5 £10 £25Quantity
Some course date places may be temporarily reserved for up to an hour. If 'Out of Stock' message shows, please try later. If no luck, register your interest by joining our waiting list.join waiting list >
Join Waiting List
for Portrait Painting Masterclass
about Portrait Painting Masterclass
This structured Portrait Painting Masterclass taught by Irvin Rodriguez will focus on the head and shoulders. During the 5 day course, participants will be guided through a series of essential oil painting skills—including composition, block-in set up, value relationships and hierarchy, modelling form in colour with a focus on alla-prima and direct painting techniques. Students can expect informed discussions throughout the workshop, primarily about breaking down oil painting processes, an accompanying demonstration and personal critiques.
The course will address:
- Applying a knowledge of anatomy to a portrait
- Understanding the proportions and planes of the head and using props, such as the skeleton and skull, to inform understanding and develop a deeper knowledge of the underlying structure of the form
- Using comparative measurement to capture an accurate likeness of the sitter and bringing out the best in your model
- Assembling an appropriate palette of colour and mixing accurate colour values
- Paint handling and edge control
- Controlling focus within portrait painting and overall design
- Using colour and value to create a convincing impression of light
- Technical and practical knowledge regarding pigments, painting media and canvas for creating long-lasting paintings
Each class is limited to 12 students working from 2 models. The workshop room is located within the main school of The London Atelier of Representational Art. Each model is lit with individual professional photographic lighting which provides a steady, unchanging environment from which to observe all elements of portrait painting.
Please note that specific materials are required for this course. You will receive a complete list on application.