Portrait Painting Masterclass Irvin Rodriguez
TBC | 10:00-5:00 | Max: 12
This Portrait Painting Masterclass will teach you to paint a competent oil portrait using comparative measurement with an emphasis on direct painting techniques.Course Dates
£5 £10 £25Quantity
about Portrait Painting Masterclass Irvin Rodriguez
This structured Portrait Painting Masterclass taught by Irvin Rodriguez will focus on the head and shoulders. During the 5 day course, participants will be guided through a series of essential oil painting skills—including composition, block-in set up, value relationships and hierarchy, modelling form in colour with a focus on alla-prima and direct painting techniques. Students can expect informed discussions throughout the workshop, primarily about breaking down oil painting processes, an accompanying demonstration and personal critiques.
The course will address:
- Applying a knowledge of anatomy to a portrait
- Understanding the proportions and planes of the head and using props, such as the skeleton and skull, to inform understanding and develop a deeper knowledge of the underlying structure of the form
- Using comparative measurement to capture an accurate likeness of the sitter and bringing out the best in your model
- Assembling an appropriate palette of colour and mixing accurate colour values
- Paint handling and edge control
- Controlling focus within portrait painting and overall design
- Using colour and value to create a convincing impression of light
- Technical and practical knowledge regarding pigments, painting media and canvas for creating long-lasting paintings
Each class is limited to 12 students working from 2 models. The workshop room is located within the main school of The London Atelier of Representational Art. Each model is lit with individual professional photographic lighting which provides a steady, unchanging environment from which to observe all elements of portrait painting.
Please note that specific materials are required for this course. You will receive a complete list on application.